[openstack-dev] [nova] Boston Forum session recap - claims in the scheduler (or conductor)

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri May 19 14:12:30 UTC 2017

Le 19/05/2017 15:14, Chris Dent a écrit :
> On Thu, 18 May 2017, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>
>> We didn't really get into this during the forum session, but there are
>> different opinions within the nova dev team on how to do claims in the
>> controller services (conductor vs scheduler). Sylvain Bauza has a
>> series which uses the conductor service, and Ed Leafe has a series
>> using the scheduler. More on that in the mailing list [3].
>
> Since we've got multiple threads going on this topic, I put some
> of my concerns in a comment on one of Ed's reviews:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465171/3//COMMIT_MSG@30
>
> It's a bit left fieldy but tries to ask about some of the long term
> concerns we may need to be thinking about here, with regard to other
> services using placement and maybe them needing a
> scheduler-like-thing too (because placement cannot do everything).

That's actually a good question that I would translate to :
'Are other projects having interest in scheduling other things than just
instances ?'.

To be honest, that's something I wondered since ages and I tried during
the VM/BM Forum session [1] to ask operators/developers their usecases
they'd like to see for placement given the priority they gave.
If you look at the etherpad, you will see a couple of given usecases but
none of them are related to a generic scheduler, rather a compute
scheduler doing multi-projects affinity, which is already in our scope
thanks to Placement.

So, while I think it's a reasonable question to ask, it shouldn't divert
our current priority effort as it can't be said a motivation.
Also, I'm not particularly concerned by the interface between conductor
and scheduler that we have, as that interface is flexible enough for not
blocking us in the future, should we need to implement a generic scheduler.

-Sylvain