[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Cockroachdb for Keystone Multi-master

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri May 19 13:45:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, 19 May 2017, Adrian Turjak wrote:
> On 19 May 2017 11:43 am, Curtis <serverascode at gmail.com> wrote:
>       I had thought that the OpenStack community was deprecating Postgres
>       support though, so that could make things a bit harder here (I might
>       be wrong about this).
>
> I really hope not, because that will take Cockroachdb off the table entirely (unless they add MySQL support) and it may prove to be a
> great option overall once it is known to be stable and has been tested in larger scale setups.
>
> I remember reading about the possibility of deprecating Postgres but there are people using it in production so I assumed we didn't go
> down that path. Would be good to have someone confirm.

Deprecating postgreSQL is not a done deal, it's up for review at
[1] and [2]. And at this point it is more about documenting reality
that postgreSQL is not a focus of upstream development.

Deprecation is likely to happen, however, if there isn't an increase
in the number people willing to:

* actively share pg knowledge in the OpenStack community
* help with ensuring there is gate testing and responsiveness to
   failures
* address some of the mysql-oriented issue listed in [1]

I'd rather not see it happen, especially if it allows an easy step
to using cockroachdb. So I'd encourage you (and anyone else) to
participate in those reviews, especially if they are able to make
some commitments about future involvement.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427880/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465589/

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/