[openstack-dev] [oslo] Can we stop global requirements update?

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu May 18 19:16:20 UTC 2017

On 05/18/2017 02:37 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, May 18 2017, Mike Bayer wrote:
>
>> I'm not understanding this?  do you mean this?
>
> In the long run, yes. Unfortunately, we're not happy with the way Oslo
> libraries are managed and too OpenStack centric. I've tried for the last
> couple of years to move things on, but it's barely possible to deprecate
> anything and contribute, so I feel it's safer to start fresh and better
> alternative. Cotyledon by Mehdi is a good example of what can be
> achieved.

here's cotyledon:

https://cotyledon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

replaces oslo.service with a multiprocessing approach that doesn't use
eventlet.  great!  any openstack service that rides on oslo.service
would like to be able to transparently switch from eventlet to
multiprocessing the same way they can more or less switch to mod_wsgi at
the moment.    IMO this should be part of oslo.service itself.   Docs
state: "oslo.service being impossible to fix and bringing an heavy
dependency on eventlet, "  is there a discussion thread on that?

I'm finding it hard to believe that only a few years ago, everyone saw
the wisdom of not re-implementing everything in their own projects and
using a common layer like oslo, and already that whole situation is
becoming forgotten - not just for consistency, but also when a bug is
found, if fixed in oslo it gets fixed for everyone.

An increase in the scope of oslo is essential to dealing with the issue
of "complexity" in openstack.  The state of openstack as dozens of
individual software projects each with their own idiosyncratic quirks,
CLIs, process and deployment models, and everything else that is visible
to operators is ground zero for perceived operator complexity.