[openstack-dev] [all] Log coloring under systemd

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Wed May 17 20:50:33 UTC 2017

Folks-

	As of [1], devstack will include color escapes in the default log
formats under systemd.  Production deployments can emulate as they see fit.

	Note that journalctl will strip those color escapes by default, which
is why we thought we lost log coloring with systemd.  Turns out that you
can get the escapes to come through by passing the -a flag to
journalctl.  The doc at [2] has been updated accordingly.  If there are
any other go-to documents that could benefit from similar content,
please let me know (or propose the changes).

			Thanks,
			Eric (efried)

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465147/
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/systemd.html