[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci] Saving memory in OOOQ multinode jobs

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Wed May 17 12:57:57 UTC 2017

Hi all,

we can save some memory in our OOOQ multinode jobs by specifying custom
role data -- getting rid of resources and YAQL crunching for roles that
aren't used at all in the end. Shout out to shardy for suggesting we
should look into doing this.

First observations, hopefully at least somewhat telling:

nonha-multinode-oooq job: comparing [1][2] the RSS memory usage by the 4
heat-engine processes on undercloud drops from 803 MB to 690 MB.

containers-multinode-upgrades job: comparing [3][4] heat-engine memory
usage drops from 1221 MB to 968 MB.

I expected some time savings as well but wasn't able to spot any, looks
like concurrency works well in Heat :)

Patches are here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455730/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455719/