[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Future of the tripleo-quickstart-utils project

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Wed May 17 08:47:07 UTC 2017

On 17.05.2017 4:01, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Hey Raoul,
>
> Thanks for putting this up in the ML. Replying inline:
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Raoul Scarazzini <rasca at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>> as discussed in today's TripleO meeting [1] here's a brief recap of the
>> tripleo-quickstart-utils topic.
>>
>> ### TL;DR ###
>>
>> We are trying to understand whether is good or not to put the contents
>> of [2] somewhere else for a wider exposure.
>>
>> ### Long version ###
>>
>> tripleo-quickstart-utils project started after splitting the
>> ha-validation stuff from the tripleo-quickstart-extras repo [3],

It is amusing a little bit as it looks a controversial to the
"Validations before upgrades and updates" effort. Shall we just move the
tripleo-quickstart-utils back to extras, or to validations repo and have
both issues solved? :)

>> basically because the specificity of the topic was creating a leak of
>> reviewers.
>> Today this repository have three roles:
>>
>> 1 - validate-ha: to do ha specific tests depending on the version. This
>> role relies on a micro bash framework named ha-test-suite available in
>> the same repo, under the utils directory;
>
> I've looked at https://github.com/redhat-openstack/tripleo-quickstart-utils/blob/master/roles/validate-ha/tasks/main.yml
> and I see it's basically a set of tasks that validates that HA is
> working well on the overcloud.
> Despite little things that might be adjusted (calling bash scripts
> from Ansible), I think this role would be a good fit with

A side note, this peculiar way to use ansible is a deliberate move for
automatic documenting of reproducing steps. So those jinja templated
scripts could be as well used aside of the ansible playbooks. It looked
odd to me as well, but I tend to agree that is an interesting solution
for automagic documentation builds.

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando