[openstack-dev] [vitrage] [nova] [HA] VM Heartbeat / Healthcheck Monitoring

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Tue May 16 23:29:30 UTC 2017

Waines, Greg <Greg.Waines at windriver.com> wrote:
>thanks for the pointers Sam.
>
>I took a quick look.
>I agree that the VM Heartbeat / Health-check looks like a good fit into Masakari.
>
>Currently your instance monitoring looks like it is strictly black-box type monitoring thru libvirt events.
>Is that correct ?
>i.e. you do not do any intrusive type monitoring of the instance thru the QUEMU Guest Agent facility
>       correct ?

That is correct:

https://github.com/openstack/masakari-monitors/blob/master/masakarimonitors/instancemonitor/instance.py

>I think this is what VM Heartbeat / Health-check would add to Masaraki.
>Let me know if you agree.

OK, so you are looking for something slightly different I guess, based
on this QEMU guest agent?

    https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Qemu_guest_agent

That would require the agent to be installed in the images, which is
extra work but I imagine quite easily justifiable in some scenarios.
What failure modes do you have in mind for covering with this
approach - things like the guest kernel freezing, for instance?