[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 16 19:53:43 UTC 2017

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-05-16 09:38:34 -0400 (-0400), Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> See $TITLE :)
>
> Trying not to rehash other points, I'm in favor of using
> #openstack-dev for now until we see it's not working out. Creating a
> new channel for this purpose before we've even undertaken the
> experiment seems like a social form of premature optimization.

I wouldn't say it's premature optimization, we create channels all the
time. #openstack-dev is a general discussion channel, which is used for
anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you look at recent logs,
you'll see that it is used for general community pings, but also lengthy
inter-project discussions.

Here we have a clear topic, and TC members need to pay a certain level
of attention to whatever is said. Mixing it with other community
discussions (which I have to prioritize lower) just makes it harder to
pay the right level of attention to the channel. Basically I have
trouble to see how we can repurpose a general discussion channel into a
specific group office-hours channel (different topics, different level
of attention to be paid). Asking people to use a ping list when they
*really* need to get TC members attention feels like a band-aid.

It's pretty clear now some see drawbacks in reusing #openstack-dev, and
so far the only benefit expressed (beyond not having to post the config
change to make it happen) is that "everybody is already there". By that
rule, we should not create any new channel :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)