[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 16 19:36:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-16 11:46:14 -0700 (-0700), Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
[...]
> So CVE tracking might not be required by us. Since we still use
> distro packages under the hood, we can just use these.
[...]

I think the question is how I, as a semi-clueful downstream user of
your images, can tell whether the image I'm deploying has fixes for
some specific recently disclosed vulnerability. It sounds like your
answer is that I should compare the package manifest against the
versions listed on the distro's CVE tracker or similar service? That
should be prominently documented, perhaps in a highly visible FAQ
list.

> Since we'd rebuild daily, that alone would ensure timely update to
> our containers. What we can promise to potential users is that
> containers out there were built lately (24hrs)
[...]

As outlined elsewhere in the thread, there are a myriad of reasons
why this could end up not being the case from time to time so I can
only assume your definition of "promise" differs from mine (and
unfortunately, from most people who might be trying to decide
whether it's safe to rely on these images in a sensitive/production
environment).
--
Jeremy Stanley