[openstack-dev] [all][release] sphinx 1.6.1 behavior changes triggering job failures

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 16 18:20:47 UTC 2017

We now have 2 separate bugs related to changes in today's Sphinx 1.6.1
release causing our doc jobs to fail in different ways.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pbr/+bug/1691129 describes a traceback
produced when building the developer documentation through pbr.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/reno/+bug/1691224 describes a change where
Sphinx now treats log messages at WARNING or ERROR level as reasons to
abort the build when strict mode is enabled.

I have a patch up to the global requirements list to block 1.6.1 for
builds following g-r and constraints:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465135/

Many of our doc builds do not use constraints, so if your doc build
fails you will want to apply the same change locally.

There's a patch in review for the reno issue. It would be great if
someone had time to look into a fix for pbr to make it work with
older and newer Sphinx.

Doug