[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Issue while applying customs configuration to overcloud.

Marios Andreou mandreou at redhat.com
Tue May 16 06:29:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Dnyaneshwar Pawar <
Dnyaneshwar.Pawar at veritas.com> wrote:

> Hi TripleO team,
>
> I am trying to apply custom configuration to an existing overcloud. (using
> openstack overcloud deploy command)
> Though there is no error, the configuration is in not applied to overcloud.
> Am I missing anything here?
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/609619/

[stack at h-uc test]$ cat tripleo_ocata.yaml
resource_registry:
  OS::TripleO::ControllerServer: /home/stack/test/heat3_ocata.yaml

^^^ this bit won't work for you. The 'normal' ControllerServer points
to 'OS::TripleO::Server' and then 'OS::Nova::Server'
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/66b39c2c21b6629222c0d212642156437119e977/overcloud-resource-registry-puppet.j2.yaml#L44-L47

You're overriding it with something that defines a 'normal'
SoftwareConfig (afaics it is 'correct' heat template syntax fwiw) but
I don't think it is going to run on any servers && surprised you don't
get an error for the properties being passed in here
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/ef82c3a010cf6161f1da1020698dbd38257f5a12/puppet/controller-role.yaml#L168-L175

[stack at h-uc test]$ openstack overcloud deploy --templates -e
tripleo_ocata.yaml 2>&1 |tee dny4.log

^^^ here be aware that you should re-specify all the environment files
you used on the original deploy in addition to your customization
environments at the end (tripleo_ocata.yaml). Otherwise you'll be
getting all the defaults specified by the
/usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates

Have you see this
https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/advanced_deployment/extra_config.html
there are some examples there that do what you want.

Instead of overriding the ControllerServer try
"OS::TripleO::NodeUserData" for example

hope it helps