[openstack-dev] [FaaS] Introduce a FaaS project

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Mon May 15 09:56:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Sam P <sam47priya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>  Thank you for the details.
>  I am interested and like the idea of no vendor/platform lock-in.
>
>  However,  I still have this stupid question in me.
>  Why FaaS need to be in the OpenStack ecosystem? Can it survive
> outside and still be able to integrate with OpenStack?

In OpenStack ecosystem, I mean put this project under OpenStack umbrella so
that it could leverage OpenStack facilities, and integrating with other
OpenStack services means it is an option to be deployed together with them
and be triggered by event/notification from them.

>  This FaaS must able to well integrated with OpenStack ecosystem and
> no argument there.
>
> >>IMHO, none of them can be well integrated with OpenStack ecosystem.
> Can you share more details on this?  If you have done any survey on
> this,  please share.
> Crating FaaS with pure OpenStack means, we need to create something
> similar to OpenWhisk or IronFunctions with existing or new OpenStack
> components.
> I just want to make sure it is worth it to recreate the wheels.

Yeah, you are right, as I said at the beginning, I'm sort of recreating the
wheels. I hope the new project can be easily installed together with other
OpenStack projects using similar methodology, it can provide a beautiful
RESTful API to end users, it's easy for OpenStack developers to understand
and maintain. I don't think it is that easy if we go with OpenWhisk or
IronFunctions. Actually, in container world, there are already a lot of
projects doing the same thing. But again, I'm OpenStack developer, we are
running an OpenStack based public cloud, I don't want to mess things up to
introduce things which will probably introduce other things.

> Jsut for the info, I think this [0] is your previous ML thread...
> [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-
> May/116472.html

Thanks to find it out :)