[openstack-dev] [ironic] [tripleo] demo: node auto-discovery with one power button click

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri May 12 13:53:10 UTC 2017

On 05/11/2017 07:28 PM, Jiri Tomasek wrote:

> On 11.5.2017 16:56, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> While people are enjoying the Forum, I also have something to show.
>>
>> I've got a lot of questions about auto-discovery, so I've recorded a demo
>> of it using TripleO Ocata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJkDxxjL3NQ.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think!
>>
>> Dmitry

> Hi, thanks for interesting demo! I am wondering how does this compare to
> "Discover nodes, knowing IP range for their BMCs and the default IPMI
> credentials" blueprint [1].

These are essentially unrelated approaches to doing node discovery.

> I really like the power of introspection rules. TripleO UI can nicely benefit
> from this, letting user provide rules to apply on introspection.
>
> Regarding the autodiscovery use case, is it possible to somehow power up the
> machines using API? What if user does not know the $IPMI_HOST?

Well, this particular use case is about manual or not supported power. E.g. you
press the button or you use some fancy proprietary CMDB.

> Can we replace enabling autodiscovery option in undercloud with discovering
> nodes as defined in [1] which would return json resembling to instackenv.json
> file and register the nodes using this? Does it make sense?

Why replace, if we can have both? :)

> Can Ironic-inspector send messages via zaqar to notify subscribers about
> starting the autodiscovery?

This is a good idea, and Ironic is essentially capable of it (as soon as you set
up Zaqar to listen to oslo.messaging topic). Inspector is not, that would be a
good RFE.