[openstack-dev] [Massively distributed] Optimizing the interaction of OpenStack components

Georg Kunz georg.kunz at ericsson.com
Thu May 11 18:44:26 UTC 2017

Hi Ronan,
hi Adrien,

we talked yesterday in the edge/massively distributed working group meeting about optimizations of the control traffic between OpenStack components. Besides investigating different message busses, we agreed that it is also worth looking at how different OpenStack components interact. My understanding is that you have already developed tracing tools for this.

Nevertheless, one concrete thing which came to my mind, is this proposed improvement of the interaction between Nova and Neutron:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390513/

In a nutshell, the idea is that Neutron adds more information to a port object so that Nova does not need to make multiple calls to Neutron to collect all required networking information. It seems to have stalled for the time being, but bringing forward the edge computing use case might increase the interest again.

Best regards
Georg