[openstack-dev] [POC] Introduce an auto-converge policy to speedup migration

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu May 11 18:34:16 UTC 2017

On 05/11/2017 05:58 AM, Chao Fan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We plan to develop a policy about auto-converge, which can set cpu
> throttle value automatically according to the workload
> (dirty-pages-rate). It uses the API of libvirt to set the
> cpu-throttle-initial and cpu-throttle-increment.
> But the spec file of nova shows the dependent API is not accepted
> by OpenStack:
>
> The initial decrease and increment size can be adjusted during
> the live migration process via the libvirt API. However these API calls
> are experimental so nova will not be using them.
>
> So I am wondering if OpenStack is willing to use this API and accept
> the policy mentioned above.

Just to clarify, as I understand it:

1) You are pointing out that the auto-live-migration spec from Newton[1] says
that the libvirt APIs to set the initial and increment throttle values are
experimental and thus won't be using them.

2) You are asking whether these APIs are now stable enough to be used in nova,
since you want to propose some mechanism to allow them to be changed.

Is that accurate?

Chris

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/implemented/auto-live-migration-completion.html