[openstack-dev] [tripleo][logging] oslo.log fluentd native logging

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Wed May 10 21:41:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-24 at 07:47 -0400, Joe Talerico wrote:
> Hey owls - I have been playing with oslo.log fluentd integration[1]
> in
> a poc commit here [2]. Enabling the native service logging is nice
> and
> tracebacks no longer multiple inserts into elastic - there is a
> "traceback" key which would contain the traceback if there was one.
>
> The system-level / kernel level logging is still needed with the
> fluent client on each Overcloud node.
>
> I see Martin did the initial work [3] to integrate fluentd, is there
> anyone looking at migrating the OpenStack services to using the
> oslo.log facility?

Nobody officially implementing this yet that I know of. But it does
look promising.

The idea of using oslo.logs fluentd formatter could dovetail very
nicely into our new containers (docker) servers for Pike in that it
would allow us to log to stdout directly within the container... but
still support the Fluentd logging interfaces that we have today.

The only downside would be that not all services in OpenStack support
olso.log (I don't think Swift does for example). Nor do some of the
core services we deploy like Galera and RabbitMQ. So we'd have a mixed
bag of host and stdout logging perhaps for some things or would need to
integrate with Fluentd differently for services without oslo.log
support.

Our current approach to containers logging in TripleO recently landed
here and exposed the logs to a directory on the host specifically so
that we could aim to support Fluentd integrations:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/442603/

Perhaps we should revisit this in the (near) future to improve our
containers deployments.

Dan