[openstack-dev] [nova] Would be possible to modify metadata when instance is in rescued state?

Pawel Suder pawel.suder at corp.ovh.com
Tue May 9 07:04:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

I would like to raise a topic regarding possibilities when metadata could be modified on instance.

We noticed that instance metadata could be modified only when vm_state is set to following values:

  *   active
  *   paused
  *   suspended
  *   stopped

Found:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/api.py#L3916-L3920
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/api.py#L3905-L3908

>From time to time it is needed to have instance in rescued state.

Scenario: VM is rescued and special metadata attributes need to be set to allow cloud-init to act specifically for rescue mode. Metadata data should be available only during rescue mode.

Question: what kind of impact could be observed when checks for instance state will be modified for methods:

update_instance_metadata
delete_instance_metadata

Thank you,

Cheers,