[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat May 6 12:26:00 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-05 15:35:16 -0600 (-0600), Octave J. Orgeron wrote:
[...]
> If it's in support of Oracle specific technologies such as Solaris,
[...]
> we are often shunned away because it's not Linux or "mainstream"
> enough. A great example is how our Nova drivers for Solaris Zones,
> Kernel Zones, and LDoms are turned away. So we have to spend extra
> cycles maintaining our patches because they are shunned away from
> getting into the gate.
[...]

Hopefully I'm not hitting a sore spot here, but bring back
OpenSolaris and the answer becomes simpler. The Microsoft and VMWare
devs have similar challenges in this regard because if you attempt
to combine your proprietary software with our free software, then
it's not something we're going to be able to test upstream (and the
burden to prove that it's working and soundly maintained is
substantially greater than if what you're integrating is also free
software).
--
Jeremy Stanley