[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 5 23:23:56 UTC 2017

On 05/05/2017 02:34 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> I don't have a nice way to wrap this up. I'm depressed and just want to go
> outside. I don't expect pleasant replies to my rant, so I probably won't reply
> again after this anyway since this is always a never-ending back and forth which
> just leaves everyone bitter.

For what it's worth, I think that there are always going to be disagreements of
this sort.

The upstream developers want to see things get done upstream.  Makes sense.

The downstream teams that add stuff on top of vanilla OpenStack usually do it
because customers want functionality, not just for fun or to cause vendor
lock-in.  And sometimes those things that get added aren't easily upstreamable,
either because the use-case is too specific, or because the implementation
doesn't match upstream standards, or because it's too tightly coupled to other
code outside of OpenStack.  Sometimes there just aren't the resources available
to push everything upstream.  This leads to downstream distros carrying private
patches, which naturally makes them want less upstream churn.

I don't think there's any magic answer to this other than to encourage
downstream folks to continue to try to push things upstream, with the
expectation that not everything will make it.

Chris