[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Should the Technical Committee meetings be dropped?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu May 4 17:10:41 UTC 2017

Greetings,

In the last Technical Committee meeting, we discussed the idea of dropping the
Technical Committee meeting entirely[0][1] in favor of a more asynchronous
communication. Here's a brief summary of the problems this is trying to solve
(most taken from the proposal):

* It takes place a specific time of day, even if we have rotating time slots,
  we are always excluding someone.

* The fast paced nature of the IRC meetings can exclude many for the
  conversation. Many native English speakers struggle to keep track of the
  conversation and get their point across. It is even worse for non-native
  English speakers.

* Feels like many conversations happen outside the meeting in non-open-enough
  ways, we should make it easy to have more open conversations.

* Reduce the number of places where topics are discussed and, instead, improve
  the way we use the other ones we have, which favor a more distributed community.

The discussion in the meeting started from what problems this proposal is trying
to solve and evolved into whether we should go all-in on this or take baby steps
towards dropping the meeting and see how things evolve.

Some of the current TC activities depend on the meeting to some extent:

* We use the meeting to give the final ack on some the formal-vote reviews.
* Some folks (tc members and not) use the meeting agenda to know what they
  should be reviewing.
* Some folks (tc members and not) use the meeting as a way to review or
  paticipate in active discussions.
* Some folks use the meeting logs to catch up on what's going on in the TC

In the resolution that has been proposed[1], we've listed possible solutions for
some of this issues and others:

* Having office hours
* Sending weekly updates (pulse) on the current reviews and TC discussions

Regardless we do this change on one-shot or multiple steps (or don't do it at
all), I believe it requires changing the way TC activities are done:

* It requires folks (especially TC members) to be more active on reviewing
  governance patches
* It requires folks to engage more on the mailing list and start more
  discussions there.

Sending this out to kick off a broader discussion on these topics. Thoughts?
Opinions? Objections?

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2017/tc.2017-05-02-20.01.log.html
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459848/

--