[openstack-dev] [tripleo] pingtest vs tempest

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Thu May 4 14:38:49 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 15:41:04 CEST Dan Prince wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 03:11 -0400, Luigi Toscano wrote:

That's the idea, yes: anyone would be able to consume it easily with the other
tests; just a regexp away.

> To me the message is clear that we DO NOT want to consume the normal
> Tempest scenarios in TripleO upstream CI at this point. Sure there is
> overlap there, but the focus of those tests is just plain different...
> speed isn't a primary concern there as it is for us so I don't think we
> should do it now. And probably not ever unless the CI job time is less
> than an hour. Like even if we were able to tune a set of stock Tempest
> smoke tests today to our liking unless TripleO proper gates on the
> runtime of those not increasing we'd be at risk of breaking our CI
> queues as the wall time would potentially get too long. In this regard
> this entire thread is poorly named I think in that we are no longer
> talking about 'pingtest vs. tempest' but rather the implementation
> details of how we reimplement our existing pingtest to better suite the
> community.
>
> So ++ for the idea of experimenting with the use of tempest.lib. But
> stay away from the idea of using Tempest smoke tests and the like for
> TripleO I think ATM.

That would be good!

> Its also worth noting there is some risk when maintaining your own in-
> tree Tempest tests [1]. If I understood that thread correctly that
> breakage wouldn't have occurred if the stable branch tests were gating
> Tempest proper... which is a very hard thing to do if we have our own
> in-tree stuff. So there is a cost to doing what you suggest here, but
> probably one that we'd be willing to accept.

About this, the idea is not to put the Tempest plugin in-tree, but keep it in
a separate repository (and keep it branchless like Tempest; as you test the
API. We did this for Sahara tests since liberty with good results.
Moreover, there is a proposed global goal for Queen to decouple the Tempest
plugin in separate repositories:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/369749/

--
Luigi