[openstack-dev] trouble installing Nagios on devstack on ubuntu 16.04 ...

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Thu May 4 07:01:56 UTC 2017

Hi Greg,

Sorry for not responding earlier about your Nagios problem, most of the Vitrage team is busy preparing to Boston.

We have already heard about the Ubuntu 16.04 issue but didn’t investigate it yet, so unfortunately I don’t have a solution for you at the moment. If you are only interested in having alarms in Vitrage, there are several options to achieve this.

1.       Use Yujun’s suggestion

2.       Raise a “compute down” alarm and let the Doctor datasource handle it. You need to:

·         Make sure ‘doctor’ is defined in the list of ‘types’ in /etc/vitrage/vitrage.conf (if not, add it and restart vitrage-graph)

·         Send an event to Vitrage using the CLI:

vitrage event post --type="compute.host.down" --details='{"hostname":"<your_hostname>","source":"sample_monitor","cause":"link-down","severity":"critical","status":"down","monitor_id":"monitor-1","monitor_event_id":"123"}'

3.       Raise an Aodh alarm with constant state ‘alarm’

·         Make sure ‘aodh’ is defined in the list of ‘types’ in /etc/vitrage/vitrage.conf (if not, add it and restart vitrage-graph)

·         Call aodh CLI:

aodh alarm create --type threshold --name 'cpu_alarm' --state alarm --description 'CPU utilization is above 1%' -m 'cpu_util' --period 60 --threshold 0.01 --comparison-operator gt --query 'resource_id=< instance uuid>' --enabled False

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ifat.