[openstack-dev] [all][tc][cinder][mistral][manila] A path forward to shiny consistent service types

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu May 4 03:56:59 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 03:47 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Monty Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have any problems with this idea. My main concern would be for
>>> backwards-compatibility and it sounds like that's pretty well sorted out.
>>>
>>> I do think it's important that if we make this improvement that all the
>>> projects really do get it done at around the same time, because if we
>>> only implement it 80% of projects, it will look pretty weird.
>>
>> I could not possibly agree more strongly with both points.
>
> "All the projects [should] really [...] get it done at around the same
> time, because if we only implement it 80% of projects, it will look
> pretty weird" sounds pretty much like the definition of a good
> cross-community goal. Can we afford to wait for Queens to implement this
> ? If yes it feels like this would make a great goal.

We could - and I agree with you ... but there is actually not work that
needs to be done in all of the projects. To support this from the
openstack side - we mostly need to land a patch to keystoneauth. (patch
already written) I will go check the other clientlibs, but I'm pretty
sure everyone has been updated to use keystoneauth at this point- except
swiftclient, but there is a patch up already to handle that. (also, nova
is working on consuming services via the catalog, but that patch is also
in flight and that work already has a local version of this done)

We also want to add support both for consuming this and testing it in
tempest - but that probably wants a deeper conversation with the tempest
team about the right way to do it.

In any case - I think the hardest part is ensuring consensus that it's a
good path forward, and a few logisitical concerns Sean and Morgan
brought up over in the service-types-authority and keystoneauth repos.
Once we find agreement, I can basically have this implemented on the
consume side in OpenStack in a few days.

That's a super long response - sorry - I ramble. I'd be more than happy
to make it a cross-project goal if we think that's the right way to get
it done - but I worry that if we do it'll steal a valuable slot since
there's not much of an ask from the projects on this one.