[openstack-dev] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu May 4 02:30:50 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 02:00 PM, Drew Fisher wrote:

> Reading the user survey [2], I see the same issues time and time again.
> Pages 18-19 of the survey are especially common points.
> Things move too fast, no LTS release, upgrades are terrifying for
> anything that isn't N-1 -> N.
> These come up time and time again
> How is the TC working with the dev teams to address these critical issues?

With my upstream nova developer hat on, it'd be painful to try to enable
upgrades for anything other than N-1 -> N.  (Heck, it's sometimes painful to
even ensure that N-1 -> N works properly.)

The team I work for made the decision to skip Liberty and upgrade directly from
Kilo to Mitaka.  We made it work, but the RPC and object versioning issues were
a bit finicky.

> I asked this because on page 18 is this comment:
>
> "Most large customers move slowly and thus are running older versions,
> which are EOL upstream sometimes before they even deploy them."
>
> This is exactly what we're seeing with some of our customers and I
> wanted to ask the TC about it.

Us too.  I'm not sure there is a simple solution.  To some extent I suppose
that's what distro folks get paid for...to do stuff that upstream can't (or
won't) do.

Chris