[openstack-dev] [all][OSC] OpenStack Interpreter: A useful tool python interpreter tool for the OpenStack client libraries.

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed May 3 15:32:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Adrian Turjak <adriant at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> Shade in this context is both really easy, and harder since I can't just
> give it the same session so it can reuse the same token. I've tried
> seeing if I can pilfer the OpenStackCloudConfig from OSC but passing
> that to shade seemed to break. If you run that interpreter command you
> can explore the OSC objects too. "self.app.cloud_config" or
> "self.app.cloud" appears to be close to what we want, but I can't get it
> to play nice with shade as it appears to be a OSC extension of the
> os-client-config class.

With last week's release of os-client-config 1.27.0 and osc-lib 1.5.1
and the addition of these to global-requirements minimums for today's
OSC 3.10.0 release we are in a place to move most of the special-case
code back in to osc-lib and os-client-config.  Much of this is due to
backward-compatibility issues that OSC needed to handle.

> If the interpreter is started from envvars you can do "cloud =
> openstack_cloud()" and shade does the right thing. If it was started
> with --os-cloud then you can also do "cloud =
> openstack_cloud(cloud=self.app.cloud.config.get('cloud'))". The latter
> also works with envvars as "self.app.cloud.config.get('cloud')" returns
> an empty string so shade looks at envvars. I can easily make a function
> that just returns shade with a new token, just kind of sucks that there
> is no way to pass it a valid session/token for it to reuse. Would be
> fantastic if you can take a gander at that as I don't know that much
> about Shade. I'd prefer to have this thing use a single shared session
> or token as much as possible.

Both OSC and Shade use ksa Sessions, that bit should be directly
sharable and includes the token handling.  OSC's auth stuff changed a
bit in the 3.10.0 release in the first step of simplifying it and
actually being able to use os-client-config as intended.  There are a
bunch of timing issues regarding _when_ auth plugins get loaded that
differ between Shade and OSC's usage.  once we complete resolving that
the level of reuse should be able to go up substantially.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com