[openstack-dev] [OSC] OpenStackClient release and core team and meetings

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed May 3 15:07:52 UTC 2017

First of all, I would like to say how glad I am to have seen the two
recent messages regarding other OpenStack client-side projects.  More
projects like this raise the visibility of all of the client-side work
as it illustrates the importance of the consumer side of OpenStack
APIs in the minds of those watching what we do (/me waves at project
managers and other corporate resource deciders).

## Meetings

OSC has a split meeting schedule in an attempt to accommodate our
diverse time zones.  Part of the problem with that is keeping track of
odd or even weeks and as a result we've been missing a couple of
meetings.  I do not plan to change the schedule[0], but I _do_ plan to
start sending meeting reminders to the ML as that seems to work well
for other teams with a split schedule.  So here is the first:

The next OpenStackClient meeting is set for Thursday May 4 at 1300 UTC
in #openstack-meeting-3.

## 3.10.0 Release

OpenStackClient 3.10.0 was released this morning and includes a number
of things that I think bear highlighting.

* With the removal of the nova-network/proxy code in novaclient we
found ourselves with a hole and re-implemented the set of REST calls
that OSC required to continue to support networks and security groups
on nova-network clouds.  In the process of doing this we discovered a
CLI change that was required in 'network create', the --subnet option
is actually required (for nova-network only) for the call to succeed
so we now enforce that in the command.
* One other incompatible CLI change is the requirement to include the
positional argument <snapshot-name> in the 'volume snapshot create'
command.  Again what was implemented is not what was intended, and any
command that includes both the --volume argument and the snapshot name
will continue to work. The Backward Incompatible Changes doc[1] has
more details on these changes.
* A number of new Network API-based commands have been added, as this
is already longer than most will read see the 3.10.0 Release Notes for
details.[2]

## OSC Core Team

I am of mixed emotions in announcing a couple of core team changes:
Huanxuan Ao is leaving to focus on completing his thesis and Rui Chen
has been added. They both have been doing excellent work for some time
and we look forward to Rui joining the core team.  Huanxuan, thank you
very much, we appreciate all of your contributions to OSC and
OpenStack in general.

On a related note, OSC was affected pretty hard by the end of OSIC as
a number of the people implementing new Network and Volume commands
were impacted.  Much of what we added in this release was contributed
by that crew and we appreciate their contributions as well.  There
remains some unfinished work that we will sort out and re-prioritize
as we talk to the affected projects.  I plan to do some of that in
Boston next week.

If you have read this far, thank you.  I do not write a lot, and when
I do I seem to try to make up for that.

dt

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#OpenStackClient_Team_Meeting
[1] https://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-openstackclient/backwards-incompatible.html#release-3-10