[openstack-dev] [nova-scheduler] Get scheduler hint

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue May 2 19:15:20 UTC 2017

On 05/02/2017 10:59 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 05/02/2017 12:33 PM, Giuseppe Di Lena wrote:
>> Thank you a lot! :-).
>> Actually, we are also working in parallel to implement the algorithm with
>> tacker, but for this project we will only use the basic modules in OpenStack
>> and Heat.
>>
>> If the scheduler hints are no longer supported, what is the correct way to
>> give the scheduler personalized input with the instance details?
>> Best regards Giuseppe
>
> Again, it depends on what problem you are trying to solve with this personalized
> input... what would the scheduler do with the length of the service chain as an
> input? What are you attempting to solve?

It sounds to me that he's not specifying the length of the service chain, but
the amount of instance redundancy (i.e. the number of copies of the "same"
instance).

 From the earlier message:

"When we create an instance, we give as input the robustness(integer value >=1)
  that is the number of copy of an instance. For example Robustness = 3, it will
create 3 instances and put them in 3 different compute nodes."

It sounds to me that the problem could be solved by specifying --min-count and
--max-count to specify the number of copies, and using server groups with the
anti-affinity filter to ensure that they end up on different compute nodes.

Chris