[openstack-dev] [devstack] [all] systemd in devstack by default

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue May 2 13:19:33 UTC 2017

On 05/02/2017 08:30 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> We started running systemd for devstack in the gate yesterday, so far so
> good.
>
> The following patch (which will hopefully land soon), will convert the
> default local use of devstack to systemd as well -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461716/. It also includes substantially
> updated documentation.
>
> Once you take this patch, a "./clean.sh" is recommended. Flipping modes
> can cause some cruft to build up, and ./clean.sh should be pretty good
> at eliminating them.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461716/2/doc/source/development.rst is
> probably specifically interesting / useful for people to read, as it
> shows how the standard development workflows will change (for the
> better) with systemd.

I absolutely cannot believe I'm saying this given what the change
implements and my general steaming hatred associated with it ... but
this is awesome work and a definite improvement over what existed before
it. If we're going to be stuck sharing the Bad Trip that is Lennart's
projected consciousness, this is a pleasant surprise of a positive outcome.

Thank you for learning about the topic and for teaching me something in
the process.

Monty