[openstack-dev] [tripleo] os-cloud-config retirement

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 16:00:29 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
> There is one case that I was thinking about reusing this piece of code
> within a container to help initialize keystone endpoints. It would
> require some changes and updates (to match how puppet-* configures
> endpoints).
>
> For TripleO containers we use various puppet modules (along with hiera)
> to drive the creation of endpoints. This functionally works fine, but
> is quite slow to execute (puppet is slow here) and takes several
> minutes to complete. I'm wondering if a single optimized python script
> might serve us better here. It could be driven via YAML (perhaps
> similar to our Hiera), idempotent, and likely much faster than having
> the code driven by puppet. This doesn't have to live in os-cloud-
> config, but initially I thought that might be a reasonable place for
> it. It is worth pointing out that this would be something that would
> need to be driven by our t-h-t workflow and not a post-installation
> task. So perhaps that makes it not a good fit for os-cloud-config. But
> it is similar to the keystone initialization already there so I thought
> I'd mention it.

Do we know why puppet is slow here? Since puppet is just executing the
openstack client, that usually is the culprit on these things.  While
it might be faster to write a python script to handle this, the
question becomes should we be using a different thing to accomplish
the same task as we're doing elsewhere?

Thanks,
-Alex