[openstack-dev] All patches failing CI for validations stable/ocata branch - help needed

Florian Fuchs flfuchs at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 14:22:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Florian Fuchs <flfuchs at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> currently all branches proposed for the newly created stable/ocata
>> branch on tripleo-validations are failing CI, and the failures seem to
>> be unrelated to the content of the patches.[1]
>>
>> Interestingly, the 3 gates seem to succeed/fail randomly (after a few
>> rechecks, some gates failed that succeeded before and vice versa). The
>> error in the logs however is always the same [2] and appears to be
>> related to an issue with setuptools 34[3], which apparently hit other
>> openstack projects as well. I tried to create a patch with a fix
>> (excluding setuptools 34), but couldn't test it because gerrit set the
>> target patch to master instead of stable/ocata (I guess it only allows
>> me to propose backport patches to stable branches, not creating a
>> patch for a stable branch only).
>>
>> At this point I'm a little out of ideas and would appreciate any help
>> I can get from folks who are a little more savvy with CI.
>
> In the meantime, I suggest we pin setuptools (short term solution, so
> we can continue the dev process on this repo).
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/commit/335a0c8ba1340ac2a1e88e78ae18f426a0447dcc

Thanks for the quick reply!

Pinning the version directly in tripleo-validations fails as well. It
fixes the initial problem, but now the gate that enforces
compatibility with openstack/requirements/global-requirements.txt
fails. (IIUC, the reason why pinning worked for openstack-ansible is
that the changes there weren't setup.* or *requirement.txt files).

Interestingly, I discovered that openstack/requirements lists a
version of setuptools that addresses the problem (which explains why
we haven't run into that one on tripleo-validations' master branch).
It hasn't been backported to any stable branches though, so I have
proposed one for ocata. If that goes through, it *should* resolve the
problems in tripleo-validations' ocata branch.

Florian