[openstack-dev] [tripleo] os-cloud-config retirement

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 13:40:58 UTC 2017

On 30.3.2017 14:58, Dan Prince wrote:
> There is one case that I was thinking about reusing this piece of code
> within a container to help initialize keystone endpoints. It would
> require some changes and updates (to match how puppet-* configures
> endpoints).
>
> For TripleO containers we use various puppet modules (along with hiera)
> to drive the creation of endpoints. This functionally works fine, but
> is quite slow to execute (puppet is slow here) and takes several
> minutes to complete. I'm wondering if a single optimized python script
> might serve us better here. It could be driven via YAML (perhaps
> similar to our Hiera), idempotent, and likely much faster than having
> the code driven by puppet. This doesn't have to live in os-cloud-
> config, but initially I thought that might be a reasonable place for
> it. It is worth pointing out that this would be something that would
> need to be driven by our t-h-t workflow and not a post-installation
> task. So perhaps that makes it not a good fit for os-cloud-config. But
> it is similar to the keystone initialization already there so I thought
> I'd mention it.

I agree we could have an optimized python script instead of puppet to do
the init. However, os-cloud-config also doesn't strike me as the ideal
place.

What might be interesting is solving the keystone init within containers
along with our container entrypoint situation. We've talked earlier that
we may have to build our custom entrypoints into the images as we
sometimes need to do things that the current entrypoints don't seem fit
for, or don't give us enough control over what happens. This single
optimized python script for endpoint config you mentioned could be one
of such in-image entrypoint scripts. We could build multiple different
scripts like this into a single image and select the right one when
starting the container (defaulting to a script that handles the usual
"worker" case, in this case Keystone API).

This gets somewhat similar to the os-cloud-config usecase, but even if
we wanted a separate repo, or even a RPM for these, i suppose it would
be cleaner to just start from scratch rather than repurpose os-cloud-config.

Jirka