[openstack-dev] [tripleo] container jobs are unstable

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 20:39:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 23/03/17 16:24 +0100, Martin André wrote:

>>> I spoke w/ Martin on IRC. He seems to think this is the cause of some
>>> of the failures:
>>>
>>> http://logs.openstack.org/32/446432/1/check-tripleo/gate-tripleo-ci-cen
>>> tos-7-ovb-containers-oooq-nv/543bc80/logs/oooq/overcloud-controller-
>>> 0/var/log/extra/docker/containers/heat_engine/log/heat/heat-
>>> engine.log.txt.gz#_2017-03-21_20_26_29_697
>>>

>>> Looks like Heat isn't able to create Nova instances in the overcloud
>>> due to "Host 'overcloud-novacompute-0' is not mapped to any cell'. This
>>> means our cells initialization code for containers may not be quite
>>> right... or there is a race somewhere.
>>

>> Here are some findings. I've looked at time measures from CI for
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448533/ which provided the most
>> recent results:
>>
>> * gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-ha [1]
>>    undercloud install: 23
>>    overcloud deploy: 72
>>    total time: 125
>> * gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-nonha [2]
>>    undercloud install: 25
>>    overcloud deploy: 48
>>    total time: 122
>> * gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-updates [3]
>>    undercloud install: 24
>>    overcloud deploy: 57
>>    total time: 152
>> * gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-containers-oooq-nv [4]
>>    undercloud install: 28
>>    overcloud deploy: 48
>>    total time: 165 (timeout)
>>
>> Looking at the undercloud & overcloud install times, the most task
>> consuming tasks, the containers job isn't doing that bad compared to
>> other OVB jobs. But looking closer I could see that:
>> - the containers job pulls docker images from dockerhub, this process
>> takes roughly 18 min.
>

> I think we can optimize this a bit by having the script that populates the
> local
> registry in the overcloud job to run in parallel. The docker daemon can do
> multiple pulls w/o problems.
>
>> - the overcloud validate task takes 10 min more than it should because
>> of the bug Dan mentioned (a fix is in the queue at
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448575/)
>

> +A
>
>> - the postci takes a long time with quickstart, 13 min (4 min alone
>> spent on docker log collection) whereas it takes only 3 min when using
>> tripleo.sh
>

> mmh, does this have anything to do with ansible being in between? Or is that
> time specifically for the part that gets the logs?
>

>> Adding all these numbers, we're at about 40 min of additional time for
>> oooq containers job which is enough to cross the CI job limit.
>>
>> There is certainly a lot of room for optimization here and there and
>> I'll explore how we can speed up the containers CI job over the next
>

> Thanks a lot for the update. The time break down is fantastic,
> Flavio

TBH the problem is far from being solved:

1. Click on https://status-tripleoci.rhcloud.com/
2. Select gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-containers-oooq-nv

Container job has been failing more than 55% of the time.

As a reference,
gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-nonha has 90% of success.
gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-ha has 64% of success.

It clearly means the ovb-containers job was and is not ready to be run
in the check pipeline, it's not reliable enough.

The current queue time in TripleO OVB is 11 hours. This is not
acceptable for TripleO developers and we need a short term solution,
which is disabling this job from the check pipeline:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/451546/

On the long-term, we need to:

- Stabilize ovb-containers which is AFIK already WIP by Martin (kudos
to him). My hope is Martin gets enough help from Container squad to
work on this topic.
- Remove ovb-nonha scenario from the check pipeline - and probably
keep it periodic. Dan Prince started some work on it:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449791/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449785/ - but not much progress on it
in the recent days.
- Engage some work on getting multinode-scenario(001,002,003,004) jobs
for containers, so we don't need much OVB jobs (only one probably) for
container scenarios.

I know everyone is busy by working on container support in composable
services, but we might assign more resources on CI work here,
otherwise I'm not sure how we're going to stabilize the CI.

Any feedback is very welcome.

>> weeks.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [1]