[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] What the behavior of AddFixedIp API should be?

Rui Chen chenrui.momo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 12:23:00 UTC 2017

Hi:

    A question about nova AddFixedIp API, nova api-ref[1] describe the API
as "Adds a fixed IP address to a server instance, which associates that
address with the server.", the argument of API is network id, so if there
are two or more subnets in a network, which one is lucky to associate ip
address to the instance? and the API behavior is always consistent? I'm not
sure.
    The latest code[2] get all of the instance's ports and subnets of the
specified network, then loop them, but it return when the first update_port
success, so the API behavior depends on the order of subnet and port list
that return by neutron API. I have no idea about what scenario we should
use the API in, and the original design, anyone know that?

[1]:
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#add-associate-fixed-ip-addfixedip-action
[2]:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/network/neutronv2/api.py#L1366