[openstack-dev] [all][ptl] Action required ! - Please submit Boston Forum sessions before April 2nd

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:35:33 UTC 2017

On 3/21/2017 4:09 PM, Lance Bragstad wrote:
> I have a couple questions in addition to Matt's.
>
> The keystone group is still trying to figure out what this means for us
> and we discussed it in today's meeting [0]. Based on early feedback,
> we're going to have less developer presence at the Forum than we did at
> the PTG. Are these formal sessions intended to be the same format as
> design session at previous summits?
>
> In the past when we've organized ourselves for summits design sessions,
> we typically got an email saying "you have these rooms at these times".
> From there we filter our topics into like categories and shuffle them
> around until the schedule looks right.
>
> With the direction of the PTG, I'm not sure many developers were
> expecting to have those types of technical discussions at the forum
> (which could be why early developer attendance confirmation is lower).
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> [0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/keystone/2017/keystone.2017-03-21-18.00.log.html#l-150

We talked about this a bit in the nova channel today too.

I'm approaching this like the cross-project days at the design summit in
the past where we'd propose topics and the TC would vote on them and
they'd get scheduled, and then the rest of the design summit was for
vertical-team discussions where we say how many rooms we want and then
we schedule our sessions ourselves in cheddar.

For the Forum, I think we'll be submitting maybe three topics that I
know of right now:

* cells (mostly project-specific but involves operators)
* placement (cross-project and operator involvement)
* limits (whole-of-openstack and operators/users)

Beyond those three, I don't plan on requesting any other nova-specific
sessions (those aren't all nova-specific anyway).

For any of the nova developers that will be there, which will be a much
smaller number than previous summits because of the format and because
we did the PTG, I assume we'll talk about Pike development status and
priorities during the downtime we have between the actual scheduled
sessions that involve more than just nova (so we'll talk about the nova
stuff in the free room area in other words).

Matt