[openstack-dev] [infra][security] Encryption in Zuul v3

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 20:28:40 UTC 2017

I don't have a horse in this race or a strong opinion on the topic, in
fact I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable when it comes to low-level
encryption things.

However, I did have a question, even if just to generate discussion.
Did we ever consider simply leaving secrets out of Zuul and offloading
that "burden" to something else ?

For example, end-users could use something like git-crypt [1] to crypt
files in their git repos and Zuul could have a mean to decrypt them at
runtime.
There is also ansible-vault [2] that could perhaps be leveraged.

Just trying to make sure we're not re-inventing any wheels,
implementing crypto is usually not straightfoward.

[1]: https://www.agwa.name/projects/git-crypt/
[2]: http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/playbooks_vault.html

David Moreau Simard

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]