[openstack-dev] [all] [quotas] Unified Limits Conceptual Spec RFC

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Mar 17 10:36:29 UTC 2017

Background:

At the Atlanta PTG there was yet another attempt to get hierarchical
quotas more generally addressed in OpenStack. A proposal was put forward
that considered storing the limit information in Keystone
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/363765/). While there were some
concerns on details that emerged out of that spec, the concept of the
move to Keystone was actually really well received in that room by a
wide range of parties, and it seemed to solve some interesting questions
around project hierarchy validation. We were perilously close to having
a path forward for a community request that's had a hard time making
progress over the last couple of years.

Let's keep that flame alive!

Here is the proposal for the Unified Limits in Keystone approach -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440815/. It is intentionally a high
level spec that largely lays out where the conceptual levels of control
will be. It intentionally does not talk about specific quota models
(there is a follow on that is doing some of that, under the assumption
that the exact model(s) supported will take a while, and that the
keystone interfaces are probably not going to substantially change based
on model).

We're shooting for a 2 week comment cycle here to then decide if we can
merge and move forward during this cycle or not. So please
comment/question now (either in the spec or here on the mailing list).

It is especially important that we get feedback from teams that have
limits implementations internally, as well as any that have started on
hierarchical limits/quotas (which I believe Cinder is the only one).

Thanks for your time, and look forward to seeing comments on this.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net