[openstack-dev] [all][ironic] Kubernetes-based long running processes

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Mar 16 18:15:31 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Dean Troyer's message of 2017-03-16 12:19:36 -0500:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Taryma, Joanna <joanna.taryma at intel.com> wrote:
> > I’m reaching out to you to ask if you’re aware of any other use cases that
> > could leverage such solution. If there’s a need for it in other project, it
> > may be a good idea to implement this in some sort of a common place.
>
> Before implementing something new it would be a good exercise to have
> a look at the other existing ways to run VMs and containers already in
> the OpenStack ecosystem.  Service VMs are a thing, and projects like
> Octavia are built around running inside the existing infrastructure.
> There are a bunch of deployment projects that are also designed
> specifically to run services with minimal base requirements.

The console access bit Joanna mentioned is special in that it needs to be
able to reach things like IPMI controllers. So that's not going to really
be able to run on a service VM easily. It's totally doable (I think we
could have achieved it with VTEP switches and OVN when I was playing
with that), but I can understand why a container solution running on
the same host as the conductor might be more desirable than service VMs.