[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Mar 16 16:57:59 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

Today's meeting was short and sweet. We lamented the decline in active membership in our group, and discussed ways to encourage more participation from others. So if you have an interest in helping OpenStack APIs become better and more consistent, please join us! We don't bite (except for cdent, sometimes).

We discussed the pagination spec [4] that was recently abandoned by its author. Seeing as it was very close to agreement, edleafe agreed to take over the spec and address the remaining questions.

The API Stability guideline was the next topic. One thing that was noted was that several people disagree with some of the wording, but are reluctant to speak out publicly because of potential loss of social capital. In other words, they feel that some of the big names of OpenStack are on one side of the discussion, so they feel intimidated about arguing for the other side. That's a real shame, as I know that no one involved would hold it against anyone for presenting a reasoned argument. Please, if you feel that part of the guideline is not reasonable to you, say so. No one will think less of you.

Lastly, we wished cdent a speedy recovery from whatever bug has taken over his body.

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community. Nothing at the moment, but feel free to get in early on the reviews below.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

* Refactor and re-validate api change guidelines
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421846/

* Microversions: add next_min_version field in version body
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446138/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!