[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Admin or certain roles should be able to list full project subtree

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 13:34:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2017-03-15 13:46:42 +1300 (+1300), Adrian Turjak wrote:
> > See, subdomains I can kind of see working, but the problem I have with
> > all this in general is that it is kind of silly to try and stop access
> > down the tree. If you have a role that lets you do 'admin'-like things
> > at a high point in the tree, you inherently always have access to the
> > whole tree below you.
> [...]
> > Really if you don't want someone to access or know about
> > 'secret_project_d' you make sure 'secret_project_d' is in a totally
> > unrelated domain from the people you are trying to hide it from.
>
> I have to agree on these points; any attempt to build a feature
> intended to hide resources from the same groups who delegate the
> permission to create them is 1. misguided, and 2. probably entirely
> futile. It will ultimately get treated as a feel-good control with
> no actual teeth, as well as a hindrance to people who end up working
> around it by adding and removing permissions for themselves so they
> can see/manage stuff which would otherwise be hidden from them.
>
> If this makes it in as a supported option, I can't begin to imagine
> the embarrassing security holes you'll end up having to squash all
> over the place where information about "hidden" resources gets
> leaked through side channels in other services (telemetry,
> monitoring, basic math on aggregate quotas, et cetera).

These security-related corner cases have always come up in the past when
we've talked about implementing reseller. Another good example that I
struggle with is what happens when you flip the reseller bit for a project
admin who goes off and creates their own entities but then wants support?
What does the support model look like for the project admin that needs help
in a way that maintains data integrity?