[openstack-dev] [dib][heat] dib-utils/dib-run-parts/dib v2 concern

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Mar 15 21:22:37 UTC 2017

While looking through the dib v2 changes after the feature branch was
merged to master, I noticed this commit[1], which bring dib-run-parts
back into dib itself.  Unfortunately I missed the original proposal to
do this, but I have some concerns about the impact of this change.

Originally the split was done so that dib-run-parts and one of the
os-*-config projects (looks like os-refresh-config) that depends on it
could be included in a stock distro cloud image without pulling in all
of dib.  Note that it is still present in the requirements of orc:
https://github.com/openstack/os-refresh-config/blob/master/requirements.txt#L5

Disk space in a distro cloud image is at a premium, so pulling in a
project like diskimage-builder to get one script out of it was not
acceptable, at least from what I was told at the time.

I believe this was done so a distro cloud image could be used with Heat
out of the box, hence the heat tag on this message.  I don't know
exactly what happened after we split out dib-utils, so I'm hoping
someone can confirm whether this requirement still exists.  I think
Steve was the one who made the original request.  There were a lot of
Steves working on Heat at the time though, so it's possible I'm wrong. ;-)

Anyway, I don't know that anything is broken at the moment since I
believe dib-run-parts was brought over unchanged, but the retirement of
dib-utils was proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445617 and I
would like to resolve this question before we do anything like that.

Thanks.

-Ben

1:
https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/commit/d65678678ec0416550d768f323ceace4d0861bca