[openstack-dev] [oslo][devstack][all] ZooKeeper vs etcd for Tooz/DLM

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Mar 15 17:06:25 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Clark Boylan's message of 2017-03-15 09:50:49 -0700:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 06:19 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > On 03/15/2017 11:37 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > > Monty, Team,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the top post:
> > >
> > > Support for etcd/tooz in devstack (with file driver as default) -
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445432/
> > >
> > > As of right now both zookeeper driver and etcd driver is working fine:
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445630/
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/445629/
> > >
> > > The problem we have from before is that we do not have any CI jobs
> > > that used zookeeper.
> > >
> > > I am leaning towards just throwing the etcd as default and if folks
> > > are interested in zookeeper then they can add specific CI jobs with
> > > DLM_BACKEND variable set.
> >
> > That doesn't bother me - zk as the default choice was because at the
> > time zk worked and etcd did not.
> >
> > That said - etcd3 is a newer/better thing - so maybe instead of driving
> > etcd home as a default before we add etcd3 support, we just change tooz
> > to support etcd3, add the devstack jobs to use that, and start from a
> > position that doesn't involve dealing with any legacy?
> >

> One logistical concern that no one else seems to have pointed out on
> this thread yet is that the example devstack setup linked at the
> beginning of the thread
> (http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/dragonflow/tree/devstack/etcd_driver)
> grabs tarball from github to perform the etcd3 installation. Looks like
> Fedora and CentOS may have proper packages for etcd3 but Ubuntu does
> not.
>
> For reliability reasons we probably do not want to be grabbing this
> tarball from github on every job run (particularly if this becomes a
> "base service" installed on every devstack job run).

Zesty looks to be getting etcd3, though there are dependencies that
haven't synced/built yet[1].  Once that's done we can submit a backport and
get it available on Xenial and then just 'apt-get install backports/etcd'

Of course, using backports in LTS's is a little bit weird since the
security team won't maintain backports.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/etcd/3.1.0-1/+build/12016435