[openstack-dev] [oslo][devstack][all] ZooKeeper vs etcd for Tooz/DLM

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Mar 15 13:25:08 UTC 2017

On 03/15/2017 01:48 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 15 March 2017 at 12:33, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

>>> +1 for working towards etcd3 a "base service", based on operator acceptance.
>>> +1 for liveness checks not causing silly DB churn.
>>>
>>> While we might not need/want an abstraction layer to hide the
>>> differences between different backends, but a library (tooz and/or
>>> os-lively) so we all consistently use the tool seems to make sense.
>>>
>>> Maybe that means get tooz using etcd3 (Julian or Jay, or both maybe
>>> seemed keen?)
>>> Maybe the tooz API adds bits from the os-lively POC?
>>
>> I do have a concern where we immediately jump to a generic abstraction,
>> instead of using the underlying technology to the best of our ability.
>> It's really hard to break down and optimize the abstractions later.
>> We've got all sorts of cruft (an inefficiencies) in our DB access layer
>> because of this (UUIDs stored as UTF8 strings being a good example).
>>
>> I'd definitely be more interested in etcd3 as a defined base service,
>> people can use it directly. See what kind of patterns people come up
>> with. Abstract late once the patterns are there.
>
> Good point.
>
> +1 to collecting the patterns.
> Thats the bit I didn't want to throw away.

++

If the 1.5 years has changed us, I think just depending on etcd3 would
be awesome.

FWIW - when we added zk to zuul/nodepool, we chose a single system
(although the opposite system, but that's not the interesting thing
here) for all the reasons mentioned about being able to dive deep into
the actual tool. It has worked well for us. However, we did wind up
writing an in-tree API on top of kazoo in-tree almost immediately, just
because it made working with it for the logical operations we needed
more sense elsewhere in the code.

So - yeah - use the tech without a generic abstraction - but patterns
can help a bunch.