[openstack-dev] [oslo][barbican][castellan] Proposal to rename Castellan to oslo.keymanager

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Mar 15 10:18:48 UTC 2017

Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14 2017, Clint Byrum wrote:
>
>> +1 for just pulling it under the oslo umbrella but not renaming it. As
>> much as I like the uniformity oslo.keymanager would bring, I think it's
>> already adopted well enough we just want to make it clear that it is
>> blessed and ok to adopt.
>
> I don't even get why moving it under the Oslo umbrella is a win.
>
> What's the current problem people are trying to solve here?

It's a governance problem. Basically if the abstraction layer is under
the control of the same group as one of the drivers, it's not really an
abstraction layer, and nobody will adopt it or develop another driver
for it.

See Clint's first answer in the thread for a more detailed explanation.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)