[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] experimenting with extracting placement

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 13:16:10 UTC 2017

Le 13/03/2017 13:41, Chris Dent a écrit :

> From the start we've been saying that it is probably right for the
> placement service to have its own repository. This is aligned with
> the long term goal of placement being useful to many services, not
> just nova, and also helps to keep placement contained and
> comprehensible and thus maintainable.
>
> I've been worried for some time that the longer we put this off, the
> more complicated an extraction becomes. Rather than carry on
> worrying about it, I took some time over the weekend to experiment
> with a slapdash extraction to see if I could identify what would be
> the sticking points. The results are here
>
>     https://github.com/cdent/placement
>
> My methodology was to lay in the basics for being able to run the
> functional (gabbi) tests and then using the failures to fix the
> code. If you read the commit log (there's only 16 commits) in
> reverse it tells a little story of what was required.
>
> All the gabbi tests are now passing (without them being changed)
> except for four that verify the response strings from exceptions. I
> didn't copy in exceptions, I created them anew to avoid copying
> unnecessary nova-isms, and didn't bother (for now) with replicating
> keyword handling.
>
> Unit tests and non-gabbi functional tests were not transferred over
> (as that would have been something more than "slapdash").
>
> Some observations or things to think about:
>
> * Since there's only one database and all the db query code is in
>   the objects, the database handling is simplified. olso_db setup
>   can be used more directly.
>
> * The objects being oslo versioned objects is kind of overkill in
>   this context but doesn't get too much in the way.
>
> * I collapsed the fields.ResourceClass and objects.ResourceClass
>   into the same file so the latter was renamed. Doing this
>   exploration made a lot of the ResourceClass handling look pretty
>   complicated. Much of that complexity is because we had to deal
>   with evolving through different functionality. If we built this
>   functionality in a greenfield repo it could probably be more
>   simple.
>
> * The FaultWrapper middleware is turned off in the WSGI stack
>   because copying it over from nova would require dealing with a
>   hierarchy of classes. A simplified version of it would probably
>   need to be stuck back in (and apparently a gabbi test to exercise
>   it, as there's not one now).
>
> * The number of requirements in the two requirements files is nicely
>   small.
>
> * The scheduler report client in nova, and to a minor degree the
>   filter scheduler, use some of the same exceptions and ovo.objects
>   that placement uses, which presents a bit of blechiness with
>   regards to code duplication. I suppose long term we could consider
>   a placement-lib or something like that, except that the
>   functionality provided by the same-named objects and exceptions
>   are not entirely congruent. From the point of view of the external
> [...]

Please don't.
Having a separate repository would mean that deployers would need to
implement a separate package for placement plus discussing about
how/when to use it.

For the moment, I'd rather prefer to leave operators using the placement
API by using Nova first and then after like 3 or 4 cycles, possibly
discussing with them how to cut it.

At the moment, I think that we already have a good priority for
placement in Nova, so I don't think it's a problem to still have it in Nova.

My .02,
-Sylvain