[openstack-dev] [mistral] Mistral Custom Actions API Design

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:22:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

I probably like the base class approach better too.

However, I’m trying to understand if we need this variety of classes.
Do we need a separate class for asynchronous actions? IMO, since is_sync() is just an instance method that can potentially return both True and False based on the instance state shouldn’t be introduced by a special class. Otherwise it’s confusing that a classes declared as AsyncAction can actually be synchronous (if its is_sync() returns True). So maybe we should just leave this method in the base class.
I”m also wondering if we should just always pass “context” into run() method. Those action implementations that don’t need it could just ignore it. Not sure though.

As far as mixin approach, I’d say I’d be ok with having mixing for context-based actions. Although, like Dougal said, it may be a little harder to read, this approach gives a huge flexibility for long term. Imagine if we want to have a class of actions that some different kind of information. Just making it up… For example, some of my actions need to be aware of some policies (Congress-like) or information about metrics of the current operating system (this is probably a bad example because it’s easy to use standard Python modules but I’m just trying to illustrate the idea). In this case we could have PolicyMixin and OperatingSystemMixin that would set required info into the instance state or provide with handle interfaces for more advanced uses.

What do you think?

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia