[openstack-dev] [all] Some information about the Forum at the Summit in Boston

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:19:15 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 01:06 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 03/09/2017 06:57 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from Ben Swartzlander's message of 2017-03-09 11:23:31 -0500:
> <snip>
>>
>> Combine that with the lower cost and subsidized travel support program
>> for the PTG, and you should end up with a more complete gathering of
>> developers at PTG, and a better interface with users and operators. That
>> is the theory, and I think it's worth trying to fit one's approach into
>> that, rather than try to keep doing things the old way and expecting
>> this new system to work.
>
> Small correction: it does not seem that the PTG was cheaper for people
> attending it.

It was substantially cheaper for many folks, actually. The venue chosen
and the city chosen is significantly cheaper than Boston.

Hotel rooms in Boston are *minimum* $350 per night compared with $180
per night in Atlanta's Sheraton.

Those of us in certain companies were allowed to use Airbnb which cut
the lodging costs down even further (around $80 per night per person
compared with $150 average Airbnb prices per person in Boston).

Add to that the lack of expensive vendor parties and nighttime events
(*somebody* ends up having to pay for those things, after all) and the
costs for attending (and putting on the PTG) were indeed cheaper in my
experience.

-jay