[openstack-dev] [all] Some information about the Forum at the Summit in Boston

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Mar 9 16:57:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 09 2017, Ben Swartzlander wrote:

Hi Ben,

[…]

> I will be in Boston to try to develop a firsthand opinion of the new Forum
> format but as of now I'm pretty unhappy with the proposal. For Manila I'm
> proposing that the community either meets at PTG and skips conferences or
> meetings at conferences and skips PTGs going forward. I'm not going to ask
> everyone to travel 4 times a year.

I feel the same as you. I advocated against this change for a year now,
but waited like you to see where this would go.

This cycle I preferred to pick Summit over PTG as I think it's harder to
meet users and operators than it is to meet developer – with whom I work
with all years on IRC or mailing-lists.

Cherry on the cake, by doing this I'm not entitled to a free ATC pass to
attend the summit. I would have to spend $300 to attend a conference for
a project I wrote code for during the last 5 years. Sigh.

Our developer community shrunk this last year and I cannot envision the
benefit of spreading it over 4 events a year.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker