[openstack-dev] [cross-project][nova][cinder][designate][neutron] Common support-matrix.py

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Tue Mar 7 14:37:22 UTC 2017

On 01/03/2017 23:53, Mike Perez wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I kicked off a thread [1] to start talking about approaches with improving
> vendor discoveribility by improving our Market Place [2]. In order to improve
> our market place, having the projects be more part of the process would allow
> the information to be more accurate of what vendors have good support in the
> respected service.
>
> It was discovered that we have a common solution of using INI files and parsing
> that with a common support-matrix.py script that originated out of nova [3].
> I would like to propose we push this into some common sphinx extension project.
> Are there any suggestions of where that could live?
>
> I've look at how Nova [3][4], Neutron [5][6] and Designate [7][8] are doing
> this today. Nova and Neutron are pretty close, and Designate is a much more
> simplified version. Cinder [9][10] is not using INI files, but instead going
> off the driver classes themselves. Are there any other projects I'm missing?
>
> Cinder and Designate have drivers per row, as oppose to Nova and Neutron
> which have features per row. This makes sense given the difference in drivers
> versus features?
>
> I'm assuming the Designate matrix is saying every driver supports every feature
> in its API? If so, that's so awesome and makes me happy.

yes :) - our drivers are *very* thin and just do zone create / update /
delete, and the rest of the complexity is in Designate.

> I would like to start brainstorming on how we can converge on a common matrix
> table design so things are a bit more consistent and easier for a common
> parsing tool.

I think having an os-api-ref for drivers (os-driver-ref ??) is a great
idea. What I would like to see from that is a common data format for
listing drivers, which we could then use for a overall driver "market
place".

What we (designate) store per driver:

Name
Type (Agent vs Zone Transfer)
Status (Which is a dynamic list in the ini file)
Maintainers
Variations (e.g. PowerDNS with MySQL vs pgSQL)
Repo

I want to extend ours to include:

Links to setup / usage docs for that driver.
Links to example pool config snippets.

I understand that ^ may be quite difficult to get right in a generic
way, so if we cannot make it work, we can keep ours separate.

Thanks,

Graham