[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Mar 7 13:17:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 09:06:18AM -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 08:43 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > On 2017-03-06 14:03, Sean Dague  wrote:
> >> I'm trying to understand the implications of
> >> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500. And the comment in the linked
> >> email:
> >>
> >> ">> Yes, we decided some time ago to not translate the log files anymore and
> >>
> >> Does that mean that all the _LE, _LI, _LW stuff in projects should be
> >> fully removed? Nova currently enforces those things are there -
> >> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/e88dd0034b1b135d680dae3494597e295add9cfe/nova/hacking/checks.py#L314-L333
> >> and want to make sure our tools aren't making us do work that the i18n
> >> team is ignoring and throwing away.

So... just looking for a definitive statement on this since there has
been some back and forth discussion.

Is it correct to say - all projects may (should?) now remove all bits in
place for using and enforcing the _Lx() translation markers. Only _()
should be used for user visible error messages.

Sean (smcginnis)