[openstack-dev] [picasso] First meeting on 7th of March

Robert Putt Robert.Putt at rackspace.co.uk
Tue Mar 7 08:16:05 UTC 2017

Good morning / afternoon / evening,

Not sure if you have seen the agenda etherpad posted in the Slack channel - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/picasso-first-meeting. Might be worth putting our thoughts in there, I already had a few questions about integration with the OpenStack community and so on.

Here are a few of my biggest sticking points with the project which I feel we should really address early on:

a)       Currently the project does not appear to use the standard OpenStack Oslo libraries and as such the configuration and behavior of the project is inconsistent with other projects. This could be particularly confusing for operators as even simple things like the config file (there isn’t one yet that I am aware of, stuff is passed In via args at daemon run time) is completely different to the usual section based config files we see in most OpenStack projects.

b)       The project only works with IronFunctions, not saying that IronFunctions is a bad choice for sure a driver for IronFunctions should be included, but it would be good to allow other Function as a Service platforms to make use of Picasso in a pluggable fashion, e.g. a driver for Fission, or a raw driver based on top of Nova / Heat. For me vendor neutrality is a really important aspect of OpenStack services and having the freedom to choose the backend of these APIs is crucial.

Best Regards,

Rob